Continuing our study of Revelation 18.
Revelation 18:9 ‘When the kings of the earth who committed adultery with her and shared her luxury see the smoke of her burning, they will weep and mourn over her. Terrified at her torment, they will stand far off and cry: “Woe, Woe is the great city O Babylon, the city of power. In one hour her doom has come.”
The selfish greed of the kings of the earth is revealed here. They have been like pigs with their noses in the troughs but now their unrighteous feast has come to an abrupt end. Babylon gave them the luxury and the power that they craved for but now it is all over. They are terrified at her torment for they fear they will suffer the same fate.
Their stocks and shares have become worth no more than sand; their investments are burning before their very eyes. They have built their houses upon the dunes and the rains have finally come in torrents.
Recent days have shown us, all too clearly, that financial systems and empires are stacked up like dominoes. They look magnificent until given a push. Then they fall in sharp succession. A world political/economic system will collapse overnight.
Revelation 18:11 ‘The merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her because no-one buys their cargoes any more – cargoes of gold, silver, precious stones, fine linen, purple, silk and scarlet cloth; every sort of citron wood and articles of every kind made of ivory, costly wood, bronze iron, and marble, cargoes of cinnamon and spice, of incense, myrrh and frankincense, of wine and olive oil, of fine flour and wheat; cattle and sheep, horses and carriages and bodies and souls of men.’
This is a fine list indeed but the tragedy is that these precious goods will be freely available to the righteous in the eternal realms. But yet the merchants sought to profit themselves in this transient world and their greed has caused them to lose everything.
Matthew 6:19 ‘Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.’
The merchants have treasured their earthly goods but it is all disappearing fast, before their very eyes. Better by far, is to treasure the righteous ways of heaven and spend all eternity in the joy of splendour.
Thank you for your support…
To read my commentaries on chapters 1,2 and 3 please click below:
- Revelation 19:11 Faithful and TrueOur testimony is that Jesus has been faithful and true and stood alongside, through every storm that has been thrown at us, and never let go of us ever!
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.