Beginning our study of Revelation 18.
Revelation 18:1 ‘After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven. He had great authority and the earth was illuminated by his splendour.’
This is a majestic verse. The end is near and heaven has come very close to earth. The angelic realm is structured and orderly with chains of command. This angel has great authority over his realm and his inner presence is illuminating the world.
John 1:5 ‘The light shines in the darkness but the darkness has not understood it.’
This angelic illumination is in stark contrast to the darkness of Babylon that is fast falling.
Revelation 18:2 ‘With a mighty voice he shouted: “Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great. She has become a home for demons and a haunt for every evil spirit, a haunt for every unclean and detestable bird.’
Babylon stood as a shining, opulent jewel, a dazzling stone that was the envy of this world. But her true, demonic nature has been revealed and she is rotten to the core.
Revelation 18:3 ‘For all the nations have drunk the maddening wine of her adulteries. The kings of the earth committed adultery with her and the merchants of the earth grew rich from her excessive luxuries.’
Not only was she rotten to the core but she spread her corruption throughout the world. Kings and merchants would queue up to trade with her, lusting over her excessive luxuries and drunk on her religious adulteries, following false gods and idols where they would lead them.
The future is not looking bright for Babylon or the kings of the earth.
For my commentary on Revelation chapter 1, 2 and 3 please click below:
- Revelation 19:11 Faithful and TrueOur testimony is that Jesus has been faithful and true and stood alongside, through every storm that has been thrown at us, and never let go of us ever!
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.