Continuing our study of Revelation 17.
Revelation 17:15 ‘Then the angel said to me, “The waters you saw, where the prostitute sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages. The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked, for they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire.’
Over the past few posts we have explored how the prostitute or harlot, otherwise known as Mystery Babylon, is a worldwide political/religious system with satanic origins that has penetrated and corrupted the world over the ages.
The beast and the ten horns describes an end-time Islamic caliphate that will form an alliance with ten other Islamic nations. It will be led by an end-time antichrist figure.
The Muslim-centred caliphate and leader will hate the opulent decadency of the harlot system and although they will tolerate and use each other to begin with, eventually the harlot and the beast will fall out. The beast will turn on the harlot and endeavour to destroy her.
Revelation 17:17 ‘For God has put it into their hearts to accomplish his purpose by agreeing to give the beast their power to rule, until God’s words are fulfilled.’
God is sovereign and is accomplishing his purposes throughout this time. He has given power to the beast to rule and destroy the harlot system. The beast may think he has won a great victory but his own demise is coming up soon.
Revelation 17:18 ‘The woman you saw is the great city that rules over the kings of the earth.’
We have described the woman harlot as a political/spiritual system that has infiltrated the world but this verse also reminds us that it is an actual city in the world.
Once again, the notion that it is one of the cities in Saudi Arabia is popular these days. It fits all the criteria of being a great city, in the desert, with a port, trading in extreme opulence, influencing world governments with its wealth and exporting extremist religious views seems to tie in very well, especially with the new city of Neom that is under construction.
We had better keep a weather eye on this.
Thank you for reading this.
For my commentaries on Revelation 1, 2 and 3 please click below:
and previous posts:
- Revelation 19:11 Faithful and TrueOur testimony is that Jesus has been faithful and true and stood alongside, through every storm that has been thrown at us, and never let go of us ever!
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.