Continuing our study of Revelation 17.
Revelation 17:9 ‘This calls for a mind of wisdom. The seven heads are seven hills on which the woman sits. They are also seven kings.’
We have explored over the past few posts how the seven heads of the end-time beast are seven empires that have spanned world history. They have always been opposed to, and sought to destroy, Israel and God’s children. The driving force behind these empires has been our spiritual enemy who has constantly pulled the strings to promote his own evil purposes.
Mystery Babylon, the political/religious/economic system that ‘sits upon the seven hills’ has always spread its tentacles throughout society, often silently and unseen, paving the way for the advancement of the enemy’s ambitions.
History has thrown up military and political leaders who have grabbed their position of power and sought to fulfil their own purposes whilst paying allegiance to their evil master. They and their empires are the seven kings.
Revelation 17:10 ‘They are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come, he must remain for a little while.’
1 ‘Five are fallen…’
The best way to understand this is from John’s perspective.
The five kings or kingdoms that have fallen are Egypt; Assyria; Babylon; Medio-Persia and Greece.
They came and went, each one making claim to its own transient glory.
2 ‘One is…’
This would be the empire at the time of John, that is, the Roman Empire.
3 ‘The other has not yet come, but when he does come he must remain for a little while.’
This is the Islamic Empire that would come to dominate the world scene from approximately 610 AD to 1924. This was certainly a long-lasting empire, stretched out over the Mediterranean and North African region. It came to an end in 1924 but many predict, are expecting, that it will be reformed in the near future. This will become the empire of the end-time beast or antichrist.
We must remind ourselves that only the kingdom of heaven will stand eternal.
Daniel 2:35 ‘The wind swept them away without leaving a trace. But the rock that struck the statue became a huge mountain and filled the whole earth.’
- Revelation 19:11 Faithful and TrueOur testimony is that Jesus has been faithful and true and stood alongside, through every storm that has been thrown at us, and never let go of us ever!
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.