Continuing our study of Revelation 17.
Revelation 17:6a ‘When I saw her I was greatly astonished. Then the angel said to me, “Why are you astonished? I will explain to you the mystery of the woman and of the beast she rides, which has the seven heads and ten horns.’
Chapter seventeen is certainly not the easiest to teach or explain but the angel assures us that it is not an impossible task and that there is an understanding to be gleaned by the resolute.
We have discussed how the beast is an end-time antichrist and his empire. Daniel described this empire in graphic detail.
Daniel 7:7 ‘After that, in my night vision I looked and there before me was a fourth beast – terrifying and frightening and very powerful. It had large iron teeth, it crushed and devoured its victims and trampled underfoot whatever was left. It was different from all the former beasts and it had ten horns.’
It has been well taught by others, that this describes better, the Islamic Empire that crushed and devoured other empires, rather than the Roman Empire whose policy was to assimilate and incorporate other empires under its wing.
The seven heads of this beast describes the seven major empires in world history that have sought to harm or destroy Israel, that is: Egypt; Assyria; Babylon; Medo-Persia; Greece; Rome and Islam.
These empires have been empowered by Satan to fulfil evil purposes against Israel.
Hence this end-time empire beast will be carrying on the purposes of the seven previous empires, and indeed it is a revived end-time form of the seventh empire. And thus is described as having seven heads. It belongs to Satan who empowered these seven previous empires.
Many teach that this is a revived form of the Roman Empire, in the shape of a European Union.
However, in recent days it has been well taught that this empire is a revived Ottoman Empire in the shape of an Islamic Caliphate, and this seems to be much more likely.
It should be well noted that the incumbent ruler of Turkey has announced his ambition and intention to rebuild this Islamic Caliphate, starting next year, in 2023.
Thank you for reading this.
- Revelation 19:11 Faithful and TrueOur testimony is that Jesus has been faithful and true and stood alongside, through every storm that has been thrown at us, and never let go of us ever!
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.