Continuing our study of Revelation 17.
Revelation 17:4 ‘The woman was dressed in purple and scarlet and was glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries.’
At first glance, this woman, adorned with fine jewels, might appear to have great beauty. So it is with seductive temptations. The outside beauty conceals an inner corruption.
The description of her golden cup filled with filth reveals her inner impurity.
She is the very opposite of the Church that is being purified to become the virgin Bride.
Down the ages, many have identified this harlot, dressed in purple and scarlet robes, as representing the Roman Catholic Church and one can see why folk should think this.
Some also speak of an end-time apostate ecumenical church rising up in opposition, passionately embracing compromise and preaching a false gospel to a fallen world.
In more recent days, many look towards a world government economic/religious system that will dominate the world, controlling the world through economic coercion.
Certainly the possibility of a world government led by powerful magnates and elites is more likely with every passing day. It would once have been considered the domain of the Illuminati and other conspiracy theorems. But times have changed and science fiction has become part of our normal day to day living and the idea of the uber-powerful taking the reins and creating a corrupt and distorted dystopia is quite possible.
We will be told that global problems can only be solved by a global government.
I am not rushing to buy a multiverse computer helmet any time soon!
- Revelation 19:11 Faithful and TrueOur testimony is that Jesus has been faithful and true and stood alongside, through every storm that has been thrown at us, and never let go of us ever!
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.