Continuing our study of Revelation 14.
Revelation 14:3 ‘And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No-one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth.
These 144,000 have passed through the tribulations of the earth, and been blessed by redemption. They are given the ultimate honour of singing before the holy courts. Such is their intimacy with the Lord that only they can learn the lyrics of the song.
Revelation 14:4 ‘These are they who did not defile themselves with women for they kept themselves pure. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes.’
Most are agreed that this verse does not argue against the joy of sexual communion within marriage but simply illustrates their commitment to purity and holiness.
I often wonder if this group will form the entourage of Christ Jesus when he walks around his kingdom in the millennial age, but I have no proof or verse to back this up.
Revelation 14:4a ‘They were purchased from among men and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. No lie was found in their mouths, they were blameless.’
They are offered as firstfruits, indicating that the number of Jews to be redeemed and purchased is not completed by this 144,000, they are merely the firstfruits of a much larger harvest when Christ Jesus returns.
The song they sing is pure for they have kept their tongues holy in speech.
Isaiah 6:6 ‘Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it, he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips, your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”
Their song is pure and sweet!
- Revelation 15:3 A Deeper UnderstandingPlease click image to reaf full post and scroll down. If you struggle with the horror of Revelation then you are certainly not alone. The absolute horror reflects the weight of sin that has corrupted man to the core. But as we embrace these sacred truths, they will bring us deeper, far deeper than ever before, into an understanding of the heart, into an understanding of the perfect holiness of God.
- Revelation 15:3 Moses and JesusPlease tap image to see full post The mention of both Moses and Jesus the Lamb in the same sentence strengthens the idea that Jesus will be the perfect Moses, who will deliver Israel, imprisoned or exiled by the antichrist and lead them victoriously back to Jerusalem.
- Revelation 15:1 Glass and FireThe bitterness of martyrdom gives way to eternal celebration. Their victory has always been dependent upon the strength that God provides and this is reflected in the harps given to them by God. And what a glorious celebration. The enemy has been defeated and the bowls of wrath will bring this evil age to a conclusion. The joy of eternity awaits!
- Revelation 14:20 The battlefieldTo read full post please tap image and scroll down. There is a justice here, that as Christ Jesus was crucified outside of the city, so this battle will take place outside too. Those who hold to the idea that Jesus is a humble servant will be stretched by the description of Jesus as the mighty bloody warrior.
- Revelation 14:20 Trampled winepressTo read full post please click image and scroll down. In the past few posts we have explored the corn harvest which I suggested will be the harvest of the redeemed and then the grape harvest which is clearly the wrath of God being poured out upon the wicked. God will inspire the antichrist to march against Jerusalem but it will be a foolish move.