Continuing our study of Revelation 13.
Revelation 13:17a ‘This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man’s number. His number is 666.’
Countless interpretations of this verse have been offered over the years and I have nothing much to add.
Gematria and numerology are the art of assigning a letter to a number and vice-versa. Therefore, the number 666 can be made to signify the name of a person. How exactly they work this out baffles me but I do not lose any sleep over the matter.
Many numerological calculations have been made to prove beyond doubt that a person’s name adds up to 666 and hence they are the antichrist.
Many have discovered that if they put the name of their long-standing enemy into the formula then it would conveniently prove beyond doubt that their enemy was indeed the antichrist.
And thus 1st century theologians worked out that 666 somehow spelt out a certain name.
All they had to do then is to work out who on earth Henry Kissinger was.
More seriously perhaps, the number 666 is the number of man, significantly less than 777 which is the number of the divine.
Thus we see once more, the division of those who choose to follow Christ Jesus and those who follow the way of fallen man and receive the mark of the beast.
Thank you for reading this…
- Revelation 16:1 Painful SoresAnd so we enter into a grim and melancholy chapter. There is little cheer to be found here. Those who have taken the mark of the beast, hoping to find some form of reward or relief, and having surrendered their soul to the worship of the beast in some shape or form, now find themselves reaping a bitter harvest of ugly and painful sores.
- Revelation 15:8 HolinessPlease click image and scroll down to see full picture. Once again, these precious verses remind us that God moves in heavenly righteousness. The seven angels are dressed in robes of perfect holiness and they carry the seven plagues that will purge and cleanse this corrupted world. The temple is filled with the glory of God as He brings perfect holiness and righteousness to bear down on this earth.
- Revelation 15:3 A Deeper UnderstandingPlease click image to reaf full post and scroll down. If you struggle with the horror of Revelation then you are certainly not alone. The absolute horror reflects the weight of sin that has corrupted man to the core. But as we embrace these sacred truths, they will bring us deeper, far deeper than ever before, into an understanding of the heart, into an understanding of the perfect holiness of God.
- Revelation 15:3 Moses and JesusPlease tap image to see full post The mention of both Moses and Jesus the Lamb in the same sentence strengthens the idea that Jesus will be the perfect Moses, who will deliver Israel, imprisoned or exiled by the antichrist and lead them victoriously back to Jerusalem.
- Revelation 15:1 Glass and FireThe bitterness of martyrdom gives way to eternal celebration. Their victory has always been dependent upon the strength that God provides and this is reflected in the harps given to them by God. And what a glorious celebration. The enemy has been defeated and the bowls of wrath will bring this evil age to a conclusion. The joy of eternity awaits!