Hi, I am on a short break where writing and internet connections are challenging. At the moment, a tropical storm rages outside and annoying rap music is blaring on the cafe sound-system!
This is a revamp of a study I made a while back on the identity of the rider on the white horse described in Revelation chapter 6.
Please either listen to the three minute audio clip below or read the notes or both at the same time!
Revelation 6:1 ‘I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, ‘Come!’ I looked and there before me was a white horse. Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.’
Some have equated this rider on a white horse in Revelation chapter 6 with the rider in Revelation 19:11 on the basis that they are both riding white horses.
Revelation 19:11 ‘I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse whose rider is called Faithful and True
However, there are major differences between the rider of the white horse in Revelation 6, and the rider in Revelation 19 as we shall explore over the next few days.
“I must emphasize that just because they both ride white horses does not make them the same rider!”
Most modern commentators are in agreement that this rider in Revelation 6 is the Antichrist, a false imitation of Christ Jesus portrayed in Revelation 19. Satan has always lacked originality and is forced to produce false deceptive images of the honest truth, in order to lead people astray.
This rider on a white horse in chapter six is therefore taken to be the infamous Antichrist who will come in deception.
He correlates with the beginning of the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24:4 where Jesus warns: ‘Watch out that no-one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming ‘I am the Christ’ and will deceive many.’
Throughout the course of history there have been anti-Christ figures that have chosen to ride white horses. The classic example would be Napoleon Bonaparte who famously rode a white steed at the head of his army; and in recent days, Saddam Hussein of Iraq was often pictured riding a white mount. Both examples reveal the propensity and arrogance of man to lust after conquest.
“It is imperative that we can discern between Christ Jesus and the deceptive Antichrist, so that we can tell who is who, otherwise we risk being horribly deceived in these last days.”
Tomorrow: who does Jesus the Lamb open the door to?
- Revelation 19:11 Faithful and TrueOur testimony is that Jesus has been faithful and true and stood alongside, through every storm that has been thrown at us, and never let go of us ever!
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.