Continuing our study of Revelation. This is not a very happy chapter so please bear with! This is my least favourite chapter of Revelation. Others teach it much better than myself and I do not intend to linger on these verses.
Revelation 9:1 The fifth angel sounded his trumpet and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss….and out of the smoke locusts came down upon the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth.’
We read of locusts that represent demonic beings released on this earth. They come from the Abyss which has always been the holding place of demons.
All those who believe in Christ Jesus will have been raptured to heaven at the return of Christ Jesus and stand before his throne, as described in Revelation 7:9.
Revelation 9:4 ‘They (the locusts) were told not to harm those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads.’
The enemy can only do what God will allow them to do.
The demonic locusts are not allowed to harm those who have the seal of God on their foreheads. These are those who have repented during the four trumpets period of chapter eight.
Revelation 9:6 ‘During those days men will seek death but they will not find it, they will long to die but death will elude them.’
The effects of the sting of the scorpion will be a preview of the torment of hell that is to come.
Revelation 9:11 ‘They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon.
The enemy has always expressed his evil ways throughout the generations, in every society and culture.
Revelation 9:13 ‘The sixth angel sounded his trumpet…’
I appreciate that this chapter is nauseous and horrific. This verse reminds us that this very short period of the end-times is very much under the control of God who is releasing the devastating effects of the judgement trumpets upon an evil world.
Revelation 9:14 ‘…and I heard a voice coming from the horns of the golden altar that is before God. It said to the sixth angel who had the trumpet. “Release the four angels who are bound at the great river Euphrates.”
Once again, God is in sovereign control over these dreadful events. It is He who releases the four angels.
Revelation 9:15 ‘And the four angels who had been kept ready for this very hour and day and month and year were released to kill a third of mankind. The number of the mounted troops was two hundred million. I heard their number.’
This is a difficult verse! Possibly the armies of China and India together could make this number but this is only speculation.
Revelation 9:20 ‘The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshipping demons and idols of gold…’
Up until this point there has been opportunity for men to repent. They have been given a thorough taste of the torment of hell that awaits them.
Revelation 9:21 ‘Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts.’
Time seems to have run out here and the bowls of wrath of chapter sixteen are ready to be poured out on this earth.
But first, Revelation has some chapters of interlude, starting with the angel and scroll of chapter ten which is somewhat happier than this past chapter!
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.