Good morning, continuing our study of Revelation chapter eight.
Chapter 8 covers a series of events that most expect will happen in the last year of the tribulation.
Revelation 8:10 ‘The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water – the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.’
This great star, blazing like a torch, certainly sounds like a meteor, and there is not much point in assuming otherwise.
We have seen how the first trumpet fires will affect the grassland, the grazing of stock and the production of arable crops.
The second trumpet will affect sea-food which is the staple diet of many.
This third trumpet will affect drinking water, the vital necessity of life itself.
Books the size of grand pianos have been written on the subject of the identity of Wormwood and I will leave you to read them for yourselves.
Yesterday we considered how God is kicking away the struts that support the world itself. These trumpet judgements may well be coming at a fast rate, a flurry of body blows. God will still be holding out the grace of salvation but only for a while.
Tomorrow the lights will be dimmed.
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.
- Revelation 19:6 Hollering With JoyThis side of glory, we pass through victories and defeats, as we march faithfully on. But even the most stoic and conservative amongst us might be forgiven here for ‘hollerin and a hooterin’ around the yard and throwing his hat up wildly in the air!