I apologise if these notes on Revelation 8 & 9 seem dreadfully gloom. They are, however, a part of scripture that cannot be ignored.
Revelation 8:8 ‘The second angel sounded his trumpet and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.’
The blazing mountain is usually understood as being an erupting volcano. The impact upon the sea will bring hunger to those who rely on sea-food for nourishment. The destruction of a third of maritime commerce will affect the world, especially if we are still dependent on the transport of oil.
One has the feeling here that God is kicking away the struts that support the world itself. And it will get even worse.
But yet there is still chance here for fallen man to turn from his ways and embrace Christ.
Tomorrow, even the drinking water will become bitter…
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.
- Revelation 19:6 Hollering With JoyThis side of glory, we pass through victories and defeats, as we march faithfully on. But even the most stoic and conservative amongst us might be forgiven here for ‘hollerin and a hooterin’ around the yard and throwing his hat up wildly in the air!