Ephesians 1 ‘Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God.’
Paul would labour with a passion and an energy that went way further than his own natural strengths.
Colossians 1:29 ‘To this end I labour, struggling with all his energy which so powerfully works in me.’
The word used here for ‘labour’, in the Koine Greek, is ‘kopos’ which denotes ‘striking’. The image I have here is of a blacksmith, wielding his hammer upon the anvil, beating with a natural rhythm but finding an inner force also working within him. Or perhaps a gardener wielding a bill-hook, allowing the balance and weight of the hook to scythe the long grass.
It is for this reason that some are driven to serve the Lord, even though they may see no obvious results.
The missionary will leave his home and labour in fields far away; the evangelist will preach the gospel and be mocked by the crowds; the preacher will preach his socks off to rows of empty pews; the writer will wrestle with words that few will read and the neighbour will bless the street where he lives and be greeted by derision and suspicion.
In the midst of their blessings and their disappointments, there is an energy working within all of them that is greater than themselves that keeps them going.
They have all become servants of the gospel and relinquished their right to live a selfish and self-serving life. They have immersed themselves in the all-consuming will of God.
Thank you for reading this. To read my short e-book The Radiant King on the first chapter of Revelation please push the blue button:
And my previous posts:
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.