Hi, during this Christmas period, I am taking a short break from writing on the Book of Revelation and writing instead on Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. I will start again with Revelation on January 2nd.
Ephesians 1 ‘Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God.’
Paul was an unlikely candidate to become a founding apostle in the church of Christ. He was neither a brother or cousin of Jesus nor a fellow Galilean. Even worse, he had been instrumental in the persecution of the emerging church.
Yet Paul stepped out as an apostle, planting and nurturing churches, knowing that he was chosen by the will of God to serve the church in this way.
There are any number of reasons why we might consider ourselves unsuitable for the work that the Lord has prepared for us: our past history and our perceived lack of ability are two of the main reasons.
Doubts and fears will always try to halter us and hold us back but the passion of the Lord will drive us onwards. Paul knew the will of God for his life and he strode forward, obediently serving his Lord.
Whether we are called to serve as apostles planting churches, or baking cakes for our next-door neighbour, I am praying this morning that the will of God, the ‘thelema’, will become so strong in all of us, that we will step out in confidence and serve the Lord according to his will.
Thank you for reading this.
For my short e-book The Radiant King, please push the blue button.
And for my previous posts:
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.
- Revelation 19:6 Hollering With JoyThis side of glory, we pass through victories and defeats, as we march faithfully on. But even the most stoic and conservative amongst us might be forgiven here for ‘hollerin and a hooterin’ around the yard and throwing his hat up wildly in the air!