Continuing a short study on the blessings, pitfalls and challenges of studying the Book of Revelation.
We looked before at how Revelation is one of the 66 books of scripture, and how each book is vital for a complete understanding of God’s will and purposes.
Imagine we had a flat-pack cupboard to build, with five pages of instruction. If we carelessly ignored one of the pages then we might end up building a lop-sided spaceship instead of a cupboard!
We need all 66 books to understand God’s will. We cannot afford to ignore the Book of Revelation.
Let me take this a step further:
Revelation is deeply intertwined with the rest of scripture, and to separate it out as a completely separate book from the rest is to lose the plot. One can argue that the whole of scripture can be found in Revelation so that it becomes the perfect capstone of scripture.
Conversely, Revelation explains and complements so much of the rest of scripture. We can never fully understand the book of Isaiah, for example, without reference to the truths of Revelation.
In short: the book of Revelation is an absolutely essential part of our study of scripture and our understanding of God’s will is dramatically reduced if we ignore it’s treasures. We ignore it at our peril!
Many thanks for reading this!
Tomorrow I will take a Christmas break from Revelation and write on Paul’s letter to the Ephesians, coming back to Revelation at the start of the new year.
To read my short e-book on Revelation chapter one please push the blue button:
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.