On not getting bogged down.
Continuing a short study on the blessings, pitfalls and challenges of studying the Book of Revelation.
When studying Revelation, it is important not to get too bogged down by detail. When we consider the identity of the two witnesses of chapter 11, there are at least 13 recognised possibilities of who they might be. We could spend a couple of decades debating their identity and completely miss the thrust of this chapter and its powerful message.
Likewise, we could become immersed in trying to guess or fathom the message of the seven thunders of chapter ten, even though John was specifically told not to record their words.
The very best scholars are happy to admit that there are certain aspects of Revelation that we do not fully understand yet, especially when it comes to the chronology of Revelation.
Revelation teaches you to walk humbly!
There is no doubt that Revelation has it’s quandaries and many steer well clear of it for that reason. I would argue though that so does the rest of scripture. I was recently listening to a couple of Christians online, debating 2 Corinthians and the subject of election, predestination and the assurance of our salvation. My mind was turning to scrambled eggs after five minutes of listening to these two scholars and their oh so complicated arguments and I was glad to get back to the straight-forward simplicity of my beloved Revelation!
Revelation unfolds pounding truths that we are called to run with…
To read my short e-book on Revelation chapter one please push the blue button:
And my previous posts:
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.