On Being Simple
Continuing a short study on the blessings, pitfalls and challenges of studying the Book of Revelation.
Revelation was written not for the academic elite but for simple folk like myself!
Some approach Revelation as if it were an enormous puzzle. They consider every verse to be a metaphor or allegory of this or that. The book then becomes an abstract construction, more a product of their own cleverness and ingenuity than a word from God.
However, an increasing number have chosen to study this book, not as a cryptic crossword for elite scholars, but rather as a word of encouragement and instruction, especially for those facing or enduring persecution.
Much is to be gained by approaching Revelation in a simple, down-to-earth and literal fashion. There are symbols to be found, and these are very obvious, but for the most part a straight-forward approach works best.
First and foremost it is a book of immense encouragement to Christians enduring persecution. It begins and ends with the glory and power and the ultimate victory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Thank you for reading this!
To read my short e-book on Revelation chapter one please push the blue button!
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.
- Revelation 19:6 Hollering With JoyThis side of glory, we pass through victories and defeats, as we march faithfully on. But even the most stoic and conservative amongst us might be forgiven here for ‘hollerin and a hooterin’ around the yard and throwing his hat up wildly in the air!