Continuing a short study on the blessings, pitfalls and challenges of studying the Book of Revelation. This morning we focus on how Revelation develops our understanding and perception of Jesus.
Revelation brings an unveiling of the complete nature of Christ.
Many of us who have homed in on the gospels will have understandably developed an image of Christ as being the gentle Lamb, the loving Messiah. It is true that there are moments in the gospels when Jesus whips the money-lenders out of the temple courts or when he mercilessly berates the falsehoods of the Pharisees, but otherwise he is seen as the gentle healer bringing salvation through surrender to the cross.
Revelation portrays Jesus as the warrior King, his robe dipped in blood, treading the wine-press of God’s wrath.
Revelation 19:15 ‘Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron sceptre. He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.’
This description of Jesus is too much to bear for some people who hastily retreat to more comforting verses in the gospels. Sadly though, they miss out on the true nature of Christ and the glory of the Kingdom that is to come.
Indeed, one could argue that many will actually reject Jesus because he does not comply with their ‘cuddly teddy bear’ perception of Jesus.
Revelation will take us into a deeper vision of Christ if we allow it to. By studying its verses and allowing them to minister to our hearts, we will grow in our understanding of Jesus and be more fully prepared to embrace the warrior King when we stand before him.
Tomorrow: a simple understanding is essential!
To read my short e-book on Revelation chapter one please push the blue button!
And my previous posts:
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.