Hi, this is a short series of eight posts discussing some of the pitfalls and challenges of studying the Book of Revelation. And the blessings too!
The Book of Revelation stands at the very end of scripture. It is one of the sixty-six books contained within the whole counsel of God and is thus of great importance.
Acts 20:27 ‘For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God.’
Some have become obsessed with Revelation and chosen to focus entirely upon this book and ignore the other sixty-five books, and their understanding then becomes unbalanced.
Revelation needs to be understood in the light of the whole of scripture and not a book in isolation.
However, others have foolishly opted to ignore Revelation and they therefore deny themselves the blessings of a part of scripture that is undoubtedly part of the purposes of God. Their understanding of the rest of scripture then becomes unbalanced since they do not have the whole picture.
2 Timothy 3:16 ‘All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.’
All scripture is God-breathed and we can never say that some verses are more important than others. We have to study scripture as a whole.
Revelation is a vital part of the whole beautiful scripture that we call God’s holy word. We are not called to be obsessed by it, nor are we called to ignore it, but rather to include it in a balenced study of the whole of scripture.
Tomorrow we look at the unveiling of the nature of Christ Jesus.
To view my short e-booklet on Revelation chapter one please press the blue button!.
My previous posts:
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.