Hi, continuing our study into Revelation 7 and the great multitude before the throne of God.
Revelation 7:13 ‘Then one of the elders asked me, “These in white robes – who are they and where did they come from?’ I answered, “Sir, you know.”
This seems like an awkward sentence structure – the elder asking a question that he knows the answer to – but I believe it is a way of highlighting the importance of this question.
Revelation 7:14a ‘And he said, “These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.’
We have already looked at the idea that this great multitude is the fulfilment of the promise that God made with Abraham.
Genesis 15:5 ‘He took him outside and said, “Look up at the heavens and count the stars – if indeed you can count them. Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” Abram believed the Lord and he credited it to him as righteousness.’
However, the subject verse – Revelation 7:13 – seems to indicate that this great multitude have been through the great tribulation and indeed have been martyred for their faith.
Revelation 7:14a And he said, “These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.’
The washing of their robes in the blood of the Lamb could possibly speak of martyrdom therefore.
Revelation does not shy away from the subject of martyrdom. The rise of the end-time beast and his empire will certainly have a profound effect upon the Middle East and elsewhere.
I certainly do not wish to glorify martyrdom for one moment, but as we shall see in other places, the martyred will be simply ushered into the very presence of God.
Revelation 14:13 ‘Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Yes,” says the Spirit,”for they will rest from their labour, for their deeds will follow them.”
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.