Continuing our series on Revelation 7 and focusing on the 144,000.
Revelation 14 teaches us that these 144,000 are the first-fruits of Israel.
Revelation 14:4a ‘They were purchased from among men and offered as first-fruits to God and the Lamb.
The 144,000 are the first-fruits: they go ahead of the multitude of Israelites who will wonderfully receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
The seal that they receive from the angel can be equated with the seal of salvation of Ephesus 1:
Ephesians 1:13a ‘Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession – to the praise of His glory.’
And so the 144,000 have received the seal of the promised Holy Spirit. They are the first-fruits of the remnant of Israel, who, when their self-sufficient power is broken by the tribulation, will realise in broken repentance, that Jesus is their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
The scales will fall from their eyes!
Zechariah 12:10a ‘They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child.’
And the Lord will gather them up tenderly.
Zephaniah 3:20 ‘At that time I will gather you, at that time I will bring you home. I will give you honour and praise among all the peoples of the earth when I restore your fortunes before your very eyes.’
The Lord longs for the day when his beloved Israel will be by his side. The 144,000 are the first-fruits of this eagerly expected harvest.
Hasten the day!
I will bring this focus on the 144,000 to a conclusion tomorrow…
My previous posts:
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.