Continuing our series on Revelation 7 and focusing on the 144,000.
Revelation 14 teaches us that these 144,000 are the first-fruits of Israel.
Revelation 14:4a ‘They were purchased from among men and offered as first-fruits to God and the Lamb.
The 144,000 are the first-fruits: they go ahead of the multitude of Israelites who will wonderfully receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
The seal that they receive from the angel can be equated with the seal of salvation of Ephesus 1:
Ephesians 1:13a ‘Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession – to the praise of His glory.’
And so the 144,000 have received the seal of the promised Holy Spirit. They are the first-fruits of the remnant of Israel, who, when their self-sufficient power is broken by the tribulation, will realise in broken repentance, that Jesus is their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
The scales will fall from their eyes!
Zechariah 12:10a ‘They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child.’
And the Lord will gather them up tenderly.
Zephaniah 3:20 ‘At that time I will gather you, at that time I will bring you home. I will give you honour and praise among all the peoples of the earth when I restore your fortunes before your very eyes.’
The Lord longs for the day when his beloved Israel will be by his side. The 144,000 are the first-fruits of this eagerly expected harvest.
Hasten the day!
I will bring this focus on the 144,000 to a conclusion tomorrow…
My previous posts:
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.
- Revelation 19:6 Hollering With JoyThis side of glory, we pass through victories and defeats, as we march faithfully on. But even the most stoic and conservative amongst us might be forgiven here for ‘hollerin and a hooterin’ around the yard and throwing his hat up wildly in the air!