We have been studying Revelation 7 and exploring the 144,000.
And so to bring this all to conclusion. We have learnt that:
1 The 144,000 are from all the tribes of Israel.
2 God sends His angel to place a seal of protection upon them. This will protect them from the four winds of harm that are coming on this earth in the form of the trumpet judgements of Revelation 8 & 9.
3 The seal is also the seal of the Holy Spirit, a mark of their salvation, as described in Ephesians 1:13a.
4 The 144,000 will be the first-fruits of the remnant of Israel who will receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
There is still an air of mystery surrounding this chosen group. I appreciate that there are anomalies with the list of the tribes of Israel and that the names of the tribes do have a deeper meaning.
But for me, the main message here is that God has chosen a number of Israelites, that they are the first-fruits of many others, that they are sealed by salvation into Christ Jesus and they will be protected by their faithful Father.
For my previous posts:
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.
- Revelation 19:6 Hollering With JoyThis side of glory, we pass through victories and defeats, as we march faithfully on. But even the most stoic and conservative amongst us might be forgiven here for ‘hollerin and a hooterin’ around the yard and throwing his hat up wildly in the air!