Continuing our study of Revelation 7 and exploring the identity of the 144,000.
Revelation 7:2 ‘Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God.’
We saw yesterday that the 144,000 of all the tribes of Israel are just that: 144,000 of all the tribes of Israel!
But what is the living seal that the angel from the East is bringing?
This living seal is described in Ezekiel.
Ezekiel 9:3 ‘Now the glory of God of Israel went up from above the cherubim, where it had been, and moved to the threshold of the temple. Then the Lord called to the man clothed in linen who had the writing kit at his side and said to him, “Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it.”
In this extreme account, God is bringing judgement upon Israel who have practiced detestable things but yet He mercifully orders a seal of protection to be placed upon the foreheads of those who are genuinely repentant and who hate these evil practices.
This has a sort-of echo of the placing of blood on the door-post of the Israelites during the Exodus. It also looks forward to the evil parody of the end-time mark of the beast in Revelation 13:16.
God is about to release the trumpet judgements upon the earth and the purpose of the seal on the forehead of the 144,000 is to protect them through this ordeal. And His faithful protection works because we read of the 144,000 in Revelation 14 doing remarkably well!
Revelation 14:1 ‘Then I looked and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.’
God is faithful to His beloved children!
The seal can also refer to the seal of Ephesians 1:13a which we will explore further tomorrow.
My previous posts:
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.