Hi, continuing a study on Revelation chapter 7.
Revelation 7:2 ‘Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God.’
This verse describes an angel coming to seal a group of people and at this point we will need to discuss who they are, and then come back to this seal later.
Revelation 7:4 ‘Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.
So who are these people? Wild speculations have been made. The Jehova Witnesses have famously claimed that they are the 144,000 but other groups have also claimed this title for their own.
Some theologians are determined to deny the mention of Israel in Revelation. They usually follow the Replacement or Supercessionist point of view and argue that the Church has replaced Israel in God’s affections and become the true Israel. I would argue that this is scripturally wrong and morally repugnant but I will expand on this at another time.
When you read this text that describes ‘144,000 from all the tribes of Israel’, followed by a list of twelve tribes of Israel, I feel it is absolutely safe to assume that they are exactly what they say they are: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel!
One of the most valuable lessons to understand when reading Revelation is to approach it simply, without being too clever. If it says that the 144,000 are from all the tribes of Israel then that is exactly who they are!
But what is the seal of the living God? More tomorrow!
For my previous posts:
- Revelation 11 pt 4The different expressions for the same period of time would also show that they are actual measurements of time that are not to be spiritualised into something of our own making. This period of time will actually happen. It will be the final three-and-a-half years before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory!
- Revelation 11 pt 3The building of the Third Temple and the beginning of the daily sacrifice will bring such joy to many of the people of Israel. The treachery of the end-time beast and his desecration of the temple will be the final straw that will weaken the pride of Israel and prepare them in brokenness to receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 11 pt 2A Third Temple must be built and the sacrifices and grain offerings to commence, so that the end-time beast can arise, bring a halt to the daily sacrifice and desecrate the temple in order to fulfil prophecies of both Jesus and Daniel.
- Revelation 11 pt 1There has always been a great expectation that a Third Temple will be built although there are clear challenges to hurdle, not least the opposition of other world religions that hold political control over the Temple Mount. Political wrestling goes on regarding the future development of the Temple and the will and expectation grows more acutely with every passing year.
- A Prayer For AfghanistanMay a spirit of praise and worship be lifted up amongst the hearts of Christians in Afghanistan, even though the praise may need to be covert and sung under their breath, may it be joyous and contagious.