Hi, continuing a study on Revelation chapter 7.
Revelation 7:2 ‘Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God.’
This verse describes an angel coming to seal a group of people and at this point we will need to discuss who they are, and then come back to this seal later.
Revelation 7:4 ‘Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.
So who are these people? Wild speculations have been made. The Jehova Witnesses have famously claimed that they are the 144,000 but other groups have also claimed this title for their own.
Some theologians are determined to deny the mention of Israel in Revelation. They usually follow the Replacement or Supercessionist point of view and argue that the Church has replaced Israel in God’s affections and become the true Israel. I would argue that this is scripturally wrong and morally repugnant but I will expand on this at another time.
When you read this text that describes ‘144,000 from all the tribes of Israel’, followed by a list of twelve tribes of Israel, I feel it is absolutely safe to assume that they are exactly what they say they are: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel!
One of the most valuable lessons to understand when reading Revelation is to approach it simply, without being too clever. If it says that the 144,000 are from all the tribes of Israel then that is exactly who they are!
But what is the seal of the living God? More tomorrow!
For my previous posts:
- Revelation 19:10 The Testimony of Jesus…One understanding of the testimony of Jesus is that he will return as the radiant King; and he will bring peace and righteousness to this earth when he establishes his kingdom and reigns from Jerusalem.
- Revelation 19:9 InvitedThe Church as a whole will be invited to the wedding as a corporate being but we will also be invited as individuals, by virtue of our personal salvation that we have received.For many of us who are not usually invited to high-society events and who are often left out and behind, this comes as a blessing indeed!
- Revelation 19:7 Eager AnticipationIn the same way, we are called to look forward to the day when we meet with Christ Jesus, on the day that he returns in power and glory. He is our blessed hope and our lives lived here on earth should be directed towards this coming moment.
- Revelation 19:7 A Wedding!I pray that we will live out our salvation with fear and trembling, and walk closely with our Lord, that we might walk with confidence and reassurance, knowing that we will be warmly welcomed and honoured as a guest, wearing the white robes of righteousness.
- Revelation 19:6 Hollering With JoyThis side of glory, we pass through victories and defeats, as we march faithfully on. But even the most stoic and conservative amongst us might be forgiven here for ‘hollerin and a hooterin’ around the yard and throwing his hat up wildly in the air!