Hi, continuing a slighly nerdy post on Revelation 6. It may help to first read my last post The Sixth Seal pt 6 which can be found in my previous posts below.
We saw yesterday that Matthew 24:29 and Revelation 6:12 describe the same event.
Matthew 24:29 ‘Immediately after the distress of those days, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light.’
Revelation 6:12 ‘I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black…’
In fact, Revelation 6 runs remarkably parallel with the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24.
Lets go a little deeper:
Matthew 24:30 shows the clear end-time sequence of :
1. the tribulation;
2. the cosmological disturbances
3. the return of Christ Jesus in power and glory.
1 Matthew 24:21 ‘Then there will be great distress…(tribulation)...’
2 Matthew 24:29 ‘Immediately after the distress of those days, the sun will be darkened….’
3 Matthew 24:30 ‘At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky…’
So the end-time sequence will be the tribulation, then the disturbances then the return of Christ.
Revelation 6 shows the same sequence:
2 cosmological disturbances
3 the return of Christ Jesus.
1 Revelation 6:9 ‘When he opened the fifth seal, I saw the souls of those who had been slain, under the altar…’
2 Revelation 6:12 ‘I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black…’
3 Revelation 6:16a ‘Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb.
So the end-time sequence of Matthew 24 and Revelation 6 are the same: the tribulation, then the disturbances then the return of Christ.
Once again we see that Revelation 6 runs remarkably parallel with the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24.
Tomorrow I will wrap this all up in one beautiful truth. Thank you for persevering with this post!
Some of the very best teachers (who teach on this much better than I can) on this subject are from Zion’s Hope who may be found here: https://www.zionshope.org
These teachers have been a constant help to me over the years and I would thoroughly recommend their teachings!
And my previous posts:
- Revelation 15:3 A Deeper UnderstandingPlease click image to reaf full post and scroll down. If you struggle with the horror of Revelation then you are certainly not alone. The absolute horror reflects the weight of sin that has corrupted man to the core. But as we embrace these sacred truths, they will bring us deeper, far deeper than ever before, into an understanding of the heart, into an understanding of the perfect holiness of God.
- Revelation 15:3 Moses and JesusPlease tap image to see full post The mention of both Moses and Jesus the Lamb in the same sentence strengthens the idea that Jesus will be the perfect Moses, who will deliver Israel, imprisoned or exiled by the antichrist and lead them victoriously back to Jerusalem.
- Revelation 15:1 Glass and FireThe bitterness of martyrdom gives way to eternal celebration. Their victory has always been dependent upon the strength that God provides and this is reflected in the harps given to them by God. And what a glorious celebration. The enemy has been defeated and the bowls of wrath will bring this evil age to a conclusion. The joy of eternity awaits!
- Revelation 14:20 The battlefieldTo read full post please tap image and scroll down. There is a justice here, that as Christ Jesus was crucified outside of the city, so this battle will take place outside too. Those who hold to the idea that Jesus is a humble servant will be stretched by the description of Jesus as the mighty bloody warrior.
- Revelation 14:20 Trampled winepressTo read full post please click image and scroll down. In the past few posts we have explored the corn harvest which I suggested will be the harvest of the redeemed and then the grape harvest which is clearly the wrath of God being poured out upon the wicked. God will inspire the antichrist to march against Jerusalem but it will be a foolish move.