Revelation 6:12 ‘I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sack-cloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red.’
There will be a series of cosmological disturbances just after the tribulation and just before Christ Jesus returns in power and glory.
These disturbances are also described elsewhere in scripture:
Matthew 24:29 ‘Immediately after the distress of those days the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’
The description of these disturbances is repeated in Mark 13:24-26 and Luke 21:25-27. And also:
Isaiah 13:10 ‘The stars of heaven and their constellations will not show their light. The rising sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light. I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins.’
Joel 2:30 ‘I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth, blood and fire and billows of smoke. The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.’
We can put aside the popular notion that the sky will be full of fluffy white clouds when Christ Jesus returns. This will be a dark day of judgement and vengeance.
And these disturbances will be unmistakable and undeniable.
Matthew 24:27 ‘For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man.’
Every eye will be woken by these disturbances and then every eye will witness King Jesus returning in power and glory.
Revelation 1:7 ‘Look, he is coming with the clouds and every eye will see him…’
The cry of the martyred souls under the altar in Revelation 6:9 will be answered. The Lord is coming to bring judgement and vengeance.
Tomorrow we explore these disturbances further.
- Revelation 7 part 6But for me, the main message here is that God has chosen a number of Israelites, 144,000,that they are the first-fruits of many others, that they are sealed by salvation into Christ Jesus and they will be protected by their faithful Father.
- Revelation pt 5The 144,000 are the first-fruits: they go ahead of the multitude of Israelites who will wonderfully receive Christ Jesus as their Messiah when he returns in power and glory.
- Revelation 7 pt 4God is about to release the trumpet judgements upon the earth and the purpose of the seal on the forehead of the 144,000 is to protect them through this ordeal.
- Revelation 7: pt 3One of the most valuable lessons to understand when reading Revelation is to approach it simply, without being too clever. If it says that the 144,000 are from all the tribes of Israel then that is exactly who they are!
- Revelation 7 pt 2The four winds describe the trumpet judgements of chapters eight and nine of Revelation.But yet four angels are posted to keep these winds blowing until God decrees that the right time has arrived. These judgements will bring immense chaos and disorder to this world yet God is in sovereign control.
- Revelation 7 pt 1It is a joy to reach the reassuring shores of Revelation chapter seven, having crawled through the trials of the previous chapter.
- Sunday Review 15As ever, so glad for all the support that folk give me regarding this site. I would no doubt keep writing, even on my own, but it is so much better with a few friends cheering me on!
- The Sixth Seal pt 8I would suggest that since Matthew 24 and Revelation 6 are running parallel and describe remarkably similar sequences, we can therefore assert that Christ will gather the elect, immediately before the wrath of God is poured out upon this earth.
- The Sixth Seal pt 7So the end-time sequence of Matthew 24 and Revelation 6 are the same: the tribulation, then the disturbances then the return of Christ. Once again we see that Revelation 6 runs remarkably parallel with the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24.
- The Sixth Seal pt 6Many have argued, quite rightly, that Revelation chapter six runs remarkably parallel with the Olivet Discourse of Matthew 24. Therefore, the cosmological disturbances of Matthew 24:29-30 are one and the same with the cosmological disturbances of Revelation 6:12-15. Both mark the exact same point in time.
- The Sixth Seal pt 5Fallen man has always preferred to deny the existence of God, hoping in vain, that they will somehow escape his wrath. But the cosmological disturbances, the darkened sun, blood-red moon and falling stars, have concentrated their minds and they are forced to recognise His throne and His wrath.